7 Best Medical Grade Air Purifier
Looking for the best medical-grade air purifier? Before diving into the topic and looking over the recommendations, let us clear out a primary factor you must know before purchasing.
Medical-grade air purifiers mean an air purifier that comes with medical-grade air filters or at least an H13 or H14 HEPA filter.
This category also includes Ultra Low Particulate Air filters (ULPA), but these are not commonly used as they are expensive and require large size fans to perform efficiently. HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air.
These filters are quite popular because they can filter out up to 99.97% of allergens and contaminants as small as 0.3 microns while neutralizing odors. These filters are perfectly suitable for people with severe medical conditions or allergies as they can offer hospital-grade protection and high-quality fresh air.
Today there are many manufacturers out there who offer air purifiers with HEPA filters. And due to the presence of so many options, it is easy to feel overwhelmed regarding which one to pick.
So here are my recommendations for the top 7 medical-grade air purifiers that come with great features and do what they claim.
7 Best Medical Grade Air Purifiers
1. Okaysou Airmax 10L Pro Smart Air Purifier.
- Efficient Air Purifier by Okaysou HEPA AirMax 10L Pro
- Powerful 5-Stage Filtration System & Filter Replacement Reminder
- Bonus Features - Child Lock mode
- Built-in a smart sensor automatically displays precise feedback in real-ti
This one has many features, making it a great addition to your home or office space. The Airmax 10L Pro can easily cover an area of 774 square feet in 30 minutes and is suitable for small to large rooms.
The air purifier is rectangular in shape and has a sleek, modern design making it ideal for different room decor options.
The unit boasts quiet operation and generates only around 50dB of noise, almost like a whispered conversation. You can use this purifier for hours, reassuring you that it will not distract you while doing any meaningful work.
There are 3 different fan speeds and a Turbo mode where the device works at its maximum speed to filter out high levels of contaminants. You also get an auto mode during which the air purifier changes the fan speed automatically depending on the current air quality.
The Airmax 10L Pro follows a 5-stage filtration system. In the beginning, a pre-filter helps to get rid of large pollutants like pet hair, pet dander, dust, lint, etc. Then the air passes through the HEPA filter, which deals with smaller particles using electromagnetism.
The third stage is an antibacterial filter which element harmful microbes. Then the air passes through the antibacterial filter, which filters out even the smallest particles, as small as 1 micron. At last, there is a cold catalyst filter and a honeycomb-activated carbon filter.
All 5 filters work hard to remove toxic pollutants and harmful airborne chemicals. The pre=filter is washable and can be reused.
There is also a good air quality smart sensor that displays the result with the help of coloured indicator lights.
The light glows blue for good air quality, yellow for moderate air quality, and red for extremely poor air quality. This sensor is a major advantage as it tells the device which set will offer maximum efficiency.
The device is Energy Star Certified and will help you save money on electricity bills. All materials used in this unit are eco-friendly, including the filters, except for the HEPA filter. These are biodegradable.
- Simple touch controls.
- Smart sensor that monitors air quality in real-time.
- Coloured indicator lights display feedback regarding air quality.
- 5-stage medical-grade filtration system.
- Smart sensors that adjust fan speed automatically.
- Energy Star certified.
- Gate turn-off mechanism where unit shuts down automatically when amperage is too high.
- Filter replacement indicator and timer.
- 5 year warranty and lifetime customer support.
- No remote control support.
- Very loud on high fan speed.
2. IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier.
- #1 Rated room air purifier
- Medical Grade H14 HyperHEPA Filter
- Long Lasting & Cost-Efficient Filters
- Energy Saving and Ultra-quiet Air Cleaner
- Certified Performan
The IQAir HealthPro Plus design is unique compared to all other purifiers on the market. It is curved at the bottom, has a fully stainless steel body, and is compact simultaneously.
The 3D Ultra Seal Technology ensures that polluted air cannot escape without being thoroughly purified. There is a 4-key touchpad with an LCD display located on the top.
This air purifier has especially been designed for larger spaces up to 1125 sq ft, hence is a little heavy. Coming to the filtration system, the air purifier purifies polluted air by passing it through 4 layers of protection.
The first layer is the washable but not permanent PreMax filter which helps to eliminate most of the large pollutants while protecting the subsequent filters. The next layer is the granulated activated carbon filter, which removes smoke, odors, toxic chemicals, and volatile organic compounds.
Then comes, the pelletized chemisorption filter is added with the activated carbon filter to further eliminate toxic chemicals like formaldehyde. And last, we have the HyperHEPA filter, which can get rid of both fine and ultrafine particles like fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
The IQAir HealthPro Plus is completely ozone free, but replacing the HyperHEPA can get a little expensive.
The ACH rating of this air purifier is an amazing 5x, where the device can clean your room up to 5 times in an hour. The sound level generated by this unit is only 22dB at the lowest setting and can go up to 57dB at the highest fan speed.
However, the device does not come with many latest additional features. There is an advanced timer to schedule the operating hours of the machine and an advanced fan speed selection mode, using which you can set a fixed fan speed to run for a particular time period. And at last, you have LED indicators to remind you when to replace the filters.
- Awesome performance.
- Great build using the highest quality materials.
- Decent room coverage for 1125 square feet.
- Very low operating sound.
- 100% ozone-free.
- 5-year warranty.
- Advanced timer and fan speed selection mode.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Slightly expensive.
- Price point of replacement filters is very high.
- No smart sensor to monitor real-time air quality.
- No auto mode.
3. Westinghouse 1701 HEPA Air Purifier.
- Pre-filter, True H13 HEPA filter combined with patented NCCO technology
- 4 stage, 300 square foot Westinghouse air purifiers sanitize 99.95% of virus
- Removes dog and cat hair and dander allergens from the air.
- Collects and degrades foul smelling molecule
This one is definitely worthy of competing for the best medical-grade air purifier title with its unique NCCO (Nano Confined Catalytic Oxidation) filter for purifying the air inside homes.
The Westinghouse 1701 follows a four-stage filtration process, starting with a pre-filter to eliminate larger molecules like allergens, dust, and hair.
Then next is an oxygen generator where the trapped viruses and bacteria are inactivated or killed with the help of active oxygen, and they can no longer affect human health.
The third stage is a true medical-grade HEPA filter which can remove up to 99.97% of contaminants as small as 0.3 microns.
The last stage is the NCCO reactor, in which water molecules and carbon dioxide are released into the air, and toxic particles break down into harmless compounds. This technology is known to be more effective than an activated carbon filter.
This purifier can cover an area of 300 square feet and is suitable for medium to large-sized rooms. It is excellent for pet owners as it can effectively remove fur, hair, and dander.
The NCCO reactor can also help in getting rid of volatile organic compounds and smoke from cigarettes or cooking. The unit has 10 different fan speeds, which isn’t very common in the market today.
Then there is the turbo mode, where the unit runs at its highest capacity, and eco mode, which helps save energy and money on electricity bills. The filter indicator light alerts you when it’s time to replace the filters after 3000 hours of operation.
- Unique NCCO technology.
- Medical grade HEPA filter.
- 10 fan speeds.
- Turbo mode and Eco mode.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Compact size.
- Directions in the manual are not very clear.
- Emits an ozone-like smell at times.
4. IQAir GC MultiGas Medical-Grade Air Purifier.
- #1 Rated room air purifier for multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) & tobacco smoke
- Proven medical-grade air filtration: 100x more effective than HEPA air purifiers
- Powerful filtration: covers a room size up to 1,125 sq ft (104.5 sq
This one is undoubtedly very powerful, but the price range is what might stop most people from buying it even if they are very tempted. It’s a giant air purifier, and the price range pretty much explains the size.
The IQAir GC MultiGas is Swiss-made and comes with a fully Stainless Steel body with a set of 4 wheels, making it a portable air purifier. This unit’s body and frame feel premium, and you can’t help but be in awe.
A touchpad with an LCD display comes with a powerful filtration system. It includes a HyperHEPA filter which can capture up to 99% of harmful particles as small as 0.3 microns and around 95% of contaminants down to 0.003 microns.
Then comes a cartridge-based activated carbon filter to remove odors and VOCs. Another cartridge-based chemisorption stage is where harmful chemicals like formaldehyde are destroyed via an oxidation process within a chemically active alumina pellet.
And at last, a post-filter sleeve forms a protective layer around each gas cartridge so that no media dust is released.
The filtration system is definitely not like any other typical air purifier, and this model is considered one of the best air purifiers for smoke as it has double gas-phase cartridges.
The IQAir GC MultiGas can cover an area of 1125 square feet and has an excellent 5X ACH rating. The sound level ranges between 25dB and 59dB depending on the fan speed and consumes hardly 20W at the lowest setting.
There are 6 fan speeds and remote control support in this air purifier. However, you do not get an intelligent air quality sensor or the ability to adjust the fan speed automatically, depending on the current air quality.
There is an advanced timer, an advanced fan speed selection feature, and a LED filter replacement indicator, like most other options available in the market.
- Stunning build quality and performance.
- Great set of efficient filters.
- Remarkable fan power.
- Covers an area of up to 1125 square feet.
- 5-year warranty.
- Advanced timer and advanced fan speed selection feature.
- Remote control support.
- Filter replacement indicator.
- Quite expensive.
- No smart sensor for real-time monitoring of air quality.
- No special additional features even with a higher price point.
5. IQAir HealthPro Compact Air Purifier.
- Excellent choice for asthma & allergies
- Proven exceptional air filtration: Filters particles 100x smaller than 0.3 microns
- IQAir exclusive HyperHEPA filters trap ultrafine particles
- Powerful filtration: covers a room size up to 1,238 sq ft (115 sq
After so many models from this brand are available at a higher price point, this one is relatively cheaper, but not by a huge difference.
It has a full stainless steel body and comes with an optional set of 4 wheels to make it easy to move around. IQAir has always impressed with its quality and superior design, and this model is no exception.
There is a Touchpad control located on the top, and at 26.5lbs, it is one of the smallest models available from the brand.
However, it is not exactly lightweight either. Staying true to the name “Compact,” this model has one less layer of filtration than the HealthPro Plus.
This comes with a PreMax filter that produces most of the larger contaminants and airborne pollutants while simultaneously protecting the subsequent filters. Then there is the HyperHEPA filter, which eliminates ultra-fine particles as small as 0.3 microns.
However, the IQAir HealthPro does not come with an activated carbon filter to tackle smoke, smells, and unpleasant odors.
But the filtration system is still very powerful and can cover a room of up to 1238 square feet in size. The ACH rating is 5X, and the clean air delivery rate is 330CFM in general.
At the lowest fan speed, the unit produces a sound level of approximately 22dB. This can go up to 57dB at the highest fan speed. The unit consumes 20W at the lowest setting and around 49W at the highest.
A remote control system support offers programmable operating options, lets you monitor the filter life, and has color-coded lights to indicate when filters need replacement.
There is also an advanced timer and an advanced fan speed selection, using which you can set the unit to operate at a fixed fan speed for your preferred time period.
- Great performance rating.
- Unit is built with the highest quality materials.
- Covers an area of 1238 square feet.
- 5-year warranty.
- Remote control support.
- Lets you monitor filter life.
- Color-coded indicators for filter replacement.
- Advanced timer and advanced fan speed selection.
- No smart air quality indicator to monitor real-time air quality.
- Somewhat heavy.
- Not very budget friendly.
6. Molekule Air Pro Medical Air Purifier.
- FDA-cleared to destroy viruses:
- Designed to meet the needs of large residential or business spaces
- Breakthrough PECO technology
- Particle & chemical sensors
- Two Auto Protect modes: Standard and Quiet
- Smart & connect
This one is a slightly larger variant office producer and has a simple aesthetic with a leather carrying strap. The design looks like a brushed aluminum finish, and the bass includes an integrated cord wrap.
The Molekule Air Pro includes a hybrid filter that combines a pre-filter and a PECO filter. The former helps to eliminate larger airborne particles while the latter works towards eliminating fine contaminants. The PECO technology is a light-activated filter that breaks down the pollutants at a molecular level.
It is very easy to control this air purifier with the help of an app on your smartphone, or you can also do it through the touch control panel located on top of the unit.
The touchscreen is straightforward to use and displays indoor air quality in real-time using a simple single-colored system.
The app shows the result in green when air quality is good, yellow when it’s average, red when it’s bad, and blue when it’s very bad. The app also lets you adjust the fan speed manually or automatically, depending on the current air quality.
You get 6 different fan speeds and two specialty auto modes- standard and quiet. When the auto-protect mode is activated, the sensor can adjust the fan speed automatically without any manual effort.
The sensors can detect 3 different sizes of airborne particles- PM10, PM2.5, and PM1. The Molekule Air Pro can effectively clean an area of up to 1000 square feet, and the noise level generated ranges between 33dB and 55dB.
The price range of this air purifier may be slightly high, but it has brought something new to the market.
- Excellent area coverage of up to 1000 sq ft.
- Solid performance.
- Great build quality.
- Sensor to monitor air quality in real-time and color-coded indicators for feedback.
- Automatic adjustment of fan speed.
- App support for easy control.
- New PECO Technology.
- Slightly pricey.
- Replacement filters are expensive.
- Power cord could have been longer.
7. Alen BreatheSmart 45i Air Purifier.
- Recommended for dust, allergens, pollen, fur, pet dander, and odors
- Fits perfectly in any space from small to large rooms.
- Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA lay
Even though the price range of this air purifier is not very high, it isn’t like your typical cheap low-range air purifiers either. There are 14 customized color options to pick from according to your preference, and it comes with a metal body with a unique handle to make it easily movable from one room to another.
The control panel located on top comes with 7 function buttons, and the unit includes 4 interesting filters. The HEPA-Pure filter is the standard one that can eliminate around 99% of contaminants as small as 0.3 microns like dust mites and pollen.
The HEPA-Fresh filter has an additional activated carbon filter to deal with unpleasant household odors like cooking smells, cigarette smoke, etc.
You can upgrade to the HEPA-Silver by adding a little more money which contains anti-microbial silver-ion threads to stop the growth of bacteria and mold spores. The HEPA-Odorcell is the ultimate level of protection that eliminates odors at a molecular level.
An ionic feature supports the system to enhance the performance further, but can be slightly irritating for people suffering from asthma.
The Alen BreatheSmart 45i can cover an area of 800 square feet and has an ACH rating of 2X to 5X depending on the room size. The sound level produced is very reasonable and ranges between 39dB and 55dB. The level is slightly higher than a normal conversation but sounds pleasing primarily due to the pink noise.
Even though this is a relatively cheap purifier, it comes with an accurate smart sensor that detects the room’s air quality in real-time. It then offers you the status of the air quality with the help of the light on the control panel, which will glow red when it’s an emergency case.
An auto mode will automatically change the fan speed of the air purifier depending on the air quality.
There is also a lights-off mode or a night mode, which is very helpful during bedtime and will not disturb your sleep during the operation. You also get an advanced timer and an LED indicator for filter replacement.
- Reasonable price point considering the pictures.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Covers a large area of 800 square feet.
- Customizable colour options.
- Different options for HEPA or filters according to different requirements.
- Smart sensor for detecting air quality.
- Air quality feedback is given via colored indicator.
- Auto mode to adjust fan speed automatically.
- Lights-off mode to turn off the lights during sleep.
- Advanced timer and filter replacement indicator.
- Average CADR rating.
- Filter replacements are slightly pricey.
- Lifetime warranty is available only if you apply for a filter subscription.
- No Wi-Fi or app support.
Things to consider
What exactly is a medical-grade HEPA filter?
When we talk about medical-grade or hospital-grade air purifiers, you will come across the term “Medical-grade HEPA filter” too many times. So what does it actually mean?
Compared to some of the best air purifiers that use H12 HEPA filters, medical-grade air purifiers make use of even better H13 and H14 rated HEPA filters and are widely used in pharmaceutical plants, hospitals, and healthcare facilities, and even in manufacturing and airplane cabins.
Airborne contaminants smaller than 2 microns are very harmful to our lungs; these filters help eliminate them effectively.
The H13 HEPA filter can capture more than three times smaller particles than regular HEPA filters. It can block up to 99.95% of pollutants, while an H14 filter can block 99.995% of contaminants. All medical grade have to comply with the U.S. Department of Energy standards.
This level of air purification is especially essential in a medical setting; that is why they are called medical grade filters.
The only downside of using these kinds of air purifiers is that they require more power to filter a significant amount of air. But they offer major benefits and hence are considered the best commercially available air purifiers.
Other factors to consider before making a purchase.
We have clearly established that medical-grade air purifiers mean a unit with H13 or H14 rated HEPA filters. This is a must-have in the filtration setup. But there are some other factors that you need to consider before investing in one, and here are a few of them-
- Other filters- apart from the primary filter, getting an air purifier with an additional activated carbon filter or UV light filter can help eliminate more particles and getting rid of smoke and unwanted smells.
- Room coverage- this is a pretty essential factor that you cannot ignore. Go for a medical-grade air purifier that is suitable for your room size or covers even a higher range. Knowing the CADR rating, you can also get an idea regarding the airflow capacity.
- Clean air delivery rate (CADR)- this value lets you know the volume of air that will be purified by the machine in an hour.
- Noise level- the perfect range to look for is between 20-49db. Many release a higher noise, which might irritate during sleep. So do your research properly beforehand.
- Budget and maintenance- when you buy an air purifier, it’s not just a one-time investment. There are other maintenance costs involved like during filter replacement. Hence, be sure that you are not stretching your budget more than necessary and decide on an amount you are comfortable with.
Additional features- of course, the more you pay, the more additional features you will get. Most options come with common features like a timer, sleep mode, night light, and a filter replacement indicator.
However, choosing an air purifier with a smart sensor for monitoring the current air quality can be very helpful, along with an auto mode that will adjust the fan speed automatically after receiving the feedback.
Some offer remote control support, Wi-Fi connectivity, voice command support, and app access. Research well and choose one that is best suitable according to your requirements.
Is HEPA 13 medical-grade?
Yes, HEPA filters rated H13 are considered medical-grade filters and can eliminate up to 99.95% of airborne pollutants as small as 0.2 microns in diameter.
These filters are especially useful in medical settings and health care facilities as they can eliminate the maximum possible quantities of toxic pollutants and allergens.
What is the difference between HEPA and HEPA 13?
Other HEPA air purifiers or True HEPA filters have the ability to eliminate 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
They have an H11 or H12 rating and usually have a pleated design with mesh elements for trapping pollutants. On the other hand, H13 HEPA filters are the highest tier in this technology and can remove 99.95% of pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.
These are also called medical-grade filters and are widely used in hospitals and clinics.
What is the highest grade HEPA filter?
HEPA filters with a rating of H13 or H14 are considered the highest grade HEPA filters and are also known as medical grade.
These filters remove even the finest of airborne particles with high precision and effectively do their job of air purification. Hence, they are very popular in the healthcare industry.
Is True HEPA better than HEPA?
A True HEPA filter gets its name when it can meet the standards set by the DOE for HEPA filtration. It has the highest efficiency and is the only filter that can reach the 99.97% threshold.
If a HEPA filter cannot meet the DOE standards, it will not be considered a True HEPA filter. So yes, True HEPA is better than HEPA in terms of efficiency and performance.
Can HEPA filters remove viruses?
A few research studies have shown that HEPA filters have the capability to eliminate viruses in the air entirely.
But there are many instances when these filters can help viruses that lead to respiratory problems travel in the air, especially when an infected person sneezes or coughs.
And when these viruses are enclosed within these droplets, they become larger in size and can easily be removed by the HEPA filters.
Conclusive research regarding the capability of a HEPA filter to get rid of viruses entirely is still limited, and yet to gain more information on this.
Do MERV 13 filters stop Covid?
Many coronavirus cases have spread due to airborne transmission of viruses. Experts recommend using air filters with a minimum of MERV 13 as they can filter out the maximum amount of viruses.
In my opinion, the 7 recommendations to help you find the best medical-grade air purifier. However, if I do have to pick a winner, it will be the Alen BreatheSmart 45i Air Purifier.
The price range is reasonable, you get tons of color options to choose from, it comes with a smart sensor to monitor current air quality, gives you accurate feedback, and you can even turn off all the lights during bed-time.
Overall, it’s a great pick if you are looking for the best medical-grade air purifier and will tick most boxes and deliver commendable performance.