7 Best Air Purifiers For Chemical Sensitivity
If you think the air inside your house or office is free from contaminants and harmful airborne particles, you are highly mistaken. Just like the air outside, the air indoors is also crawling with a high quantity of toxic particles, gaseous pollutants, and even biological pollutants like mold. Breathing clean air has become a luxury, and air purifiers are a boon in this scenario.
But apart from the harmful chemicals in the air, including volatile organic compounds, air purifiers use many chemicals. And if you or someone who is especially sensitive to chemicals or suffering from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), inhaling them can be detrimental to your health.
So what to do in this case? No worries, this list of recommendations will help you find the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity. So let’s dive right into it!
7 Best Air Purifiers For Chemical Sensitivity
1. BLUEAIR Blue 211+ HEPASilent Air Purifier.
- Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button
- Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration
- Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low
- Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and asthma sympt
It is one of the most powerful air purifiers and the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity you will come across. It boasts excellent performance but falls in the expensive price range. This air purifier has a very easy-to-use design, and there is only one button to control all functions that you will require.
There are three fan speeds, and considering the power of this device, it is pretty lightweight at 12.2 pounds. So you will not have difficulty moving it around from one room to another. This air purifier is designed to cover an area of up to 540 square feet and can clean in approximately 12.5 minutes.
Talking about the filtration system, the BLUEAIR Blue 211+ uses a combination of electrostatic and mechanical filtration that the brand calls HEPASilent filtration technology. This technology claims to deliver powerful performance while consuming minimal power and operating quietly.
The device also uses an optional fabric pre-filter, which helps to trap larger particles and increase the lifespan of the core filter inside the unit. An activated carbon filter is also included, which helps absorb harmful gases, including volatile organic compounds.
This activated carbon filter also eliminates unwanted and unpleasant smells from cooking, smoking, or even pet and chemical odors. The noise level is also relatively low at 31 DB at the lowest fan level.
Overall it’s a powerful and effective cleaner but cannot be categorized as affordable.
- It has a stylish design.
- The cleaner comes with an optional fabric pre-filter.
- The device is Energy Star certified.
- The unit follows a 360-degree air intake.
- You can use it in large rooms and offices.
- The air purifier is expensive.
- The design is bulky, so it does not fit everywhere.
- They are no intelligent features even at such a high price range.
2. Levoit Core 300.
- Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light
- Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake
- Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms
- QuietKEAP Technology reduces noise levels to a near-silent 24
This one is a primary air purifier, but it deserves to compete for the position of the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity because of the incredible features it offers at a reasonable price point.
The design of the Levoit Core 300 is very effective and is slightly taller than its predecessor. It follows the same cylindrical design concept and has 360 degrees air intake grill, which you will typically find in high-end purifiers. The unit is relatively compact, and you can easily keep it on a table or a shelf.
The Levoit Core 300 has a three-stage air cleaning system. The filtration system consists of a pre-filter to eliminate larger particles like dust, fibers, pet hair, etc. Then comes the True HEPA filter, capable of eliminating up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants as small as 0.3 microns.
And finally, there is the activated carbon filter to deal with smoke and unpleasant odors from your kitchen, pets, or even outdoors. Apart from the standard air filter, there is also an option to choose between 3 other variants- for pet allergy, toxin absorber, and mold and bacteria.
This cleaner can cover an area of 215 square feet, making it unsuitable for spaces. The noise level ranges between 24 DB to 50 DB, and the power consumption rating is approximately 45W.
You can turn off the indicator lights at night and have a display lock so that the current settings do not get changed. There is also a primary timer and a LED indicator for filter replacement.
- The unit is lightweight and easy to move around.
- Operating noise is relatively low.
- Features a very high fan power at this price range.
- Option to turn off indicator lights at night.
- LED indicator for filter replacement.
- You get the option of choosing between 3 extra filters.
- The device does not contain an intelligent sensor.
- You cannot use this air purifier for larger spaces.
3. CLEANFORCE Mega 1000.
- MEDICAL-GRADE FILTRATION
- SUPERIOR PURIFICATION CAPACITY
- SIMPLE TOUCHSCREEN & REMOTE CONTROL OPERABLE
- SMART AUTO MODE&QUIET OPERATION
- FULLY CERTIFIED: ETL Listed, FCC Certified, Energy Star Verified, California air resources board (CARB), CA PROP 65 certifi
It is undoubtedly one of the most powerful air purifiers and a worthy contender for the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity. However, it is slightly expensive. But at the same time, we must say that the features are incredible and justify the price range.
The purification capacity of the CLEANFORCE Mega 1000 is fantastic and has a massive CADR rating of 1000, which is rare. The unit can clean an area of 4650 square feet in 1 hour or 2325 square feet in 30 minutes. So if you’re looking for an air purifier for extra-large spaces, it really can’t get better than this.
This device supports dual air intake and twin-turbo fans. It offers 2X4 layers of filtration, where one set consists of two plastic pre-filters, two multi-integrated filter sets combining non-woven fabric filters, an activated carbon filter, and an H13 Medical Grade HEPA filter.
Talking about safety, this one is power-packed. The medical-grade HEPA filter can remove 99.97% of fine airborne particles as small as 0.1 microns. Mega 1000 can not only get rid of dust particles, pet dander, and fur, but it is also suitable for absorbing smoke and unpleasant odors.
You can operate this unit efficiently via simple touch screen controls and intelligent auto mode. There are four different fan speeds, a 12-hour timer, an automatic on and off feature, a child lock feature, and a sleep mode.
It also displays indoor air quality using 4 different LED indicators and offers remote control support. The intelligent mode allows you to rest while the device adjusts the required fan speed according to the current air quality.
Operates quietly and produces only 35 DB noise during the sleep mode. When the sleep mode is activated, the HD LED display and Indicator lights will also turn off automatically.
- The unit has a massive 1000 CADR rating.
- Suitable for cleaning extra-large spaces.
- 100% ozone-free.
- Advanced double 4-in-1 air purification.
- Sensor to detect air quality and auto mode to adjust fan speed based on the results.
- LED indicators to display air quality.
- Timer, child lock, sleep mode, and remote control support.
- Low operating noise.
- Energy Star rated.
- Not affordable for all.
- Replacement filters are expensive.
4. Shark HE601 Air Purifier 6.
- Six high-speed micro-fans work together to evenly distribute airflow across the filter.
- Quiet clean, and an incredibly fast clean air delivery rate.
- Clean Sense IQ tracks air quality and auto-adjusts power
- Shark’s Anti-Allergen Multi-Filter captures 99.98% of dust, dander, allergens
- An advanced odor guard on the filt
Right away, the first thing to notice about this best air purifier for chemical sensitivity is how easy it is to use. This factor mainly arises from the fact that the unit runs on Clean Sense IQ technology, which tracks the indoor air quality around you and adjusts the fan power automatically to the level required for cleaning the air in your home.
The air quality is displayed in the percentage format, and the results are shown using colored indicators. Red indicates poor air quality, yellow indicates moderate air quality, and blue indicates good air quality. The control panel also easily controls and displays the data in real time.
The Shark HE601 has 6 high-speed micro fans that work together to distribute the airflow evenly across the filter. You can customize fan speed, power mode, brightness, and more using the touch screen control panel, or the device also offers remote control support.
The unit can clean an area of up to 1200 square feet in 1 hour, and another x-factor of this air purifier is the anti-allergen HEPA multi-filter. This filter can eliminate 99.98% of dust, allergens, smoke, and unwanted odors. Another factor worth mentioning is the heightened odor protection, which ensures that there are no nasty smells in your indoor air.
A small screen is at the top of the air purifier, where you can view all the functions and features offered by the unit. The screen also displays the current status of the filter, and you can keep track of when the filter will expire.
Overall, the Shark HE601 is an intelligent air purifier, which is efficient, delivers excellent performance, and is very convenient and the same time.
- Six powerful fans for better cleaning.
- Touch controls on the top for easy access.
- Suitable for an area of up to 1200 sq ft.
- Smart sensor to monitor the current air quality.
- Clean Sense IQ technology adjusts the fan speed automatically
- Anti-allergen HEPA multi-filter.
- Low noise operation.
- You can turn off all indicator lights at night.
- Does not support Wi-Fi or app connectivity.
- No child lock feature.
- Maintenance filters are slightly expensive.
5. Levoit Vital 100.
- Vital 100 is completely ozone free and never uses UV-C light
- With a CADR of 130 CFM/ 221 m3/h,
- Comes equipped with a washable pre-filter
- Noise levels as low as 23 decibe
A great competitor for the position of the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity, it is tough to find another option that performs great at this price range. Talking about the design, the Levoit Vital 100 features a brand new topic outlet with large parallel air grills.
It’s a sleek, compact, high-quality air purifier that can fit anywhere inside your house or office. The device is also lightweight, and that makes it easily portable.
The filtration system, however, is quite basic and consists of a pre-filter to trap large particles like dust, fibers, hair, and dander. Then there is the True HEPA filter which can reduce 99.97% of airborne allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
It eliminates even the smallest pollutants like mold spores, bacteria, germs, pollen, etc. In the end, the activated carbon filter absorbs unwanted odors and fumes like cooking smells, smoke, volatile organic compounds, etc.
The Levoit Vital 100 can cover an area of up to 300 square feet and can clean once within 18 minutes. Of course, the device will perform much better if you use it in a smaller area.
The noise level generated by this air purifier is relatively low at 23 DB at the lowest fan speed. And even at the highest setting, the noise level only goes up to 50 DB. The average power consumption of this unit is approximately 55W.
There are not many additional features available in this model. There is a dimmer setting to turn off the display, a primary timer, and an LED indicator for filter replacement. Even though this air purifier does not boast fancy features, it is value for money and comes with hyphen power and sound quality filtration system.
- The device has incredible fan power.
- It is 100% ozone-free.
- The design is compact and portable.
- Operating noise is relatively low.
- LED indicator for filter replacement.
- Dimmer setting to turn off display lights.
- Timer feature.
- No intelligent sensor to detect current air quality.
- No automatic setting.
6. Coway Airmega AP-1512HH.
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion)
- Coway Mighty pollution sensor
- Fan speeds available in 1, 2, 3 stages
- Timer feature allows the machine to run 1/4/8 hours before automatically powering off.
- Filter replacement indicator
- 77 W power consumption and quiet operatio
The first thing you will notice about the Airmega AP-1512HH is that the design is stunning and quite innovative. Give a premium appeal and has 5 function buttons on the top for easy access. It is also lightweight, and you can easily carry it around from one room to another.
The filtration system is slightly different from the other computers on this list, but do you have to make any compromise to get a little something extra in terms of filtration? Not at all! The unit follows a four-stage air purification process.
The first stage is the washable pre-filter to eliminate large particles like human or pet hair, dust, and mold. The activated carbon filter is the second stage that deodorizes and eliminates harmful gas to keep your space fresh and clean.
Next comes the True HEPA filter, which captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants down to 0.3 microns. At last, there is an ionizer for the extra boost of filtration. However, the ionizer is optional and can be turned on or off.
The Airmega AP-1512HH can cover an area of 360 square feet and has an ACH rating of 4x. The CADR rating is also pretty impressive at 246CFM for dust, 233CFM for smoke, and 240CFM for pollen.
The sound produced by this device during operation is a great white noise and can be considered soothing enough to create a good ambiance for sleeping. The unit has three fan speeds, and the noise generated at the lowest setting is just 24.4 DB and 54 DB at the highest setting.
This high-quality air purifier has an Energy Star rating, and an intelligent sensor can monitor current air quality. There is also the auto mode which helps the device to adjust the fan speed automatically based on the air quality. Airmega AP-1512HH also features an eco-mode to keep the power consumption as minimal as possible.
- Stunning, innovative design.
- Combination of True HEPA filter and ionizer for an added layer of protection.
- Suitable for small to medium-sized rooms.
- Generated noise is relatively low.
- Energy star rating and eco-mode for energy conservation and saving money on electricity bills.
- Smart sensor to monitor air quality.
- Auto mode, which adjusts fan speed automatically according to air quality.
- LED indicator for filter replacement.
- Not completely ozone-free.
- Does not offer Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity.
- The air quality indicator light is bright at night and cannot be turned off.
7. Membrane Solutions MSA3 Air Purifier.
- Comprehensive Coverage
- 3-in-1 True HEPA Filter
- Filtration Performance:
- User-friendly Design
- Safe and Reliable: 100% Ozone Free Air Clean
The MSA3 is suitable for covering areas up to 210 sq ft and can be used for cleaning the air in small or medium-sized rooms. The design is slightly unconventional compared to most air cleaners and has blue indicator lights.
The build quality is pretty solid, and the control buttons are located at the front. They are touch-sensitive and respond quite nicely, and you can almost control all the features from this panel itself.
There are no fancy features, but considering the price range, it’s not expected either. You can turn off the indicator lights, select a preferred duration using the timer feature, and activate the child lock feature. Then there are LED indicators to remind you about replacing the filters.
The purification system consists of 3 filters- a pre-filter to capture larger particles like hair, dander, fur, etc., the True HEPA filter to eliminate ultrafine particles, and a carbon filter to absorb foul odors, gases, and VOCs.
There are 3 fan speeds; Turbo mode is the highest fan speed, and sleep mode is the lowest. The sound level produced is between 43dB and 54.3dB. The air purifier’s performance is excellent, and the power consumption is between 27W and 39.2W, depending on the fan speed.
- The device is suitable for rooms of up to 210 square feet.
- A robust set of filters.
- Blue indicator lights.
- Low operating noise.
- Timer, child lock, turbo mode, and sleep mode.
- Filter reset indicator.
- 100% ozone-free.
- No smart sensor to monitor air quality.
- You cannot turn off the blue lights entirely.
Things to consider before purchasing an air purifier for chemical sensitivity.
For anyone suffering from MCS or multiple chemical sensitivities, it is essential to consider certain factors before purchasing an air purifier. This medical condition usually occurs due to low-level exposure to airborne chemicals and their particles. When we talk about chemicals, it includes smoke, gases from aerosol sprays, chemical fumes, VOCs, etc.
The common symptoms associated with this condition are headaches, nausea, and extreme fatigue. The air purifier you purchase should alleviate the multiple chemical sensitivity symptoms, and here are some features you need to look out for before selecting the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity-
Try to go for air purifiers built with premium plastics or metal. Low-quality plastics can emit gases and irritate your nose and throat.
For people suffering from MCS, an activated carbon filter is a highly functional component that the air purifier you purchase should have. A high volume of activated carbon filters will help absorb smoke and toxic gases from the indoor air. HEPA filters can also help greatly as they can remove almost 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 microns.
It is the first factor to consider as different air purifiers are suitable for different sizes of rooms. Keep the square footage in mind and go for units with ACH ratings of 3x, 4x, 5x, or above.
An intelligent sensor can be a bonus as it helps to detect the pollution in the air around you and adjust the fan levels as necessary. You’ll also know the air quality by color indicators and gain peace of mind that you breathe clean, filtered air.
Out of the 7 great recommendations mentioned above, if I have to choose a winner for the best air purifier for chemical sensitivity, it will be the Coway Airmega AP-1512HH. You are getting a stunning design that will fit with any home decor.
It’s a powerful unit with an ionizer for the extra boost, but you can always turn it off if you are worried about ozone emission. The HEPA filter used is very effective and is also Energy Star-rated.
But the best part about this baby is the intelligent sensors that keep track of the air quality around you and the auto mode, which adjusts the fan speed automatically based on the results received from the sensor.
This one is an excellent pick if you are sensitive to chemicals.
Do air purifiers remove chemicals?
Yes, air purifiers can remove chemicals if equipped with suitable filters. Choosing a device with a HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter will be the best for this task.
Will an air purifier help with chemical smells?
Air purifiers might not be able to mask strong chemical smells completely, but an activated carbon filter can help absorb the unwanted odors to a considerable extent.
Do air purifiers help MCS?
Air purifiers are specially equipped to deal with chemicals, VOCs, and other harmful particles. Hence they help fight against MCS and other allergies caused due to airborne irritants.
Do HEPA filters remove chemicals?
HEPA filters alone are not enough to remove chemicals and gases. These filters will need the support of activated carbon to absorb the chemicals.
Do carbon filters remove VOCs?
Yes, carbon filters are quite effective in filtering out VOCs from the air. Default risk and even help in reducing smoke and masking unpleasant orders.